Monday, November 5, 2007

love for the swimmers

I received a comment regarding the Northwest Conference swimming championships held Saturday on the campus of Wesleyan University. I was aware that the event was taking place but was assigned to an afternoon football game. I must admit I was not in the office on Saturday night, so I did not get a chance to talk to any coaches who called to report scores that night. However, perusing the Herald's website, I see a report that East Catholic won the event, edging out Scott Ferrigno's very good Farmington team, despite a record-setting performance.
The Indians' medley relay of Jenn Noyes, Audrey King, Melly Marrington and Monika Drogosz set a new conference record with a time of 1:54.57, an excellent time.
Marrington, Noyes and Drogosz each won individual events as well. The latter's 55.25 in the 100 yard freestyle is particularly impressive to me.
Taylor Friedmann (Berlin), one of the most consistently dominant swimmers in the area, won two events, the 200 and 500 freestyles.
Unfortunately I don't see any info on the top swimmers from Plainville, although I'm sure you could find the names Meghan Sisson, Melanie Norton and Jessica Jahr at or near the top as well as diver Millie Mills. I got the chance to watch that team swim against Farmington earlier this season and both sides impressed me.
Sometimes it is easy to overlook swimming with football, soccer and volleyball, team sports, garnering the most attention. But I will have my eyes on times at the state tournaments and state open over the next couple weeks to see how well these gifted athletes do in the pool.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger x man said...

good comeback
swimming tough sport to cover because dual meet scores are managed to an extent and the swimmers who can swim up a STORM may be saving their best for club teams

November 5, 2007 at 10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home