Monday, November 5, 2007

week 8 in review

The playoff picture is getting clearer, but there is a lot of unfinished business ahead. I'm a bit of a junkie when it comes to the CIAC playoff point standings. If you don't know, you can find them at www.casciac.org. Click on the CIAC sports link on the left and then the link for schedules and results and scroll down. You can analyze the football season or find the playoff brackets for other sports.
The football points standings fascinate me because of all the various implications every game played can have on who makes the playoffs and who doesn't. If you think the NFL playoff scenarios get dicey, read the description of the CIAC points and take a minute to try and figure out who you think will be in the top four spots at the end of the season in each division.
Anyways, I'd say at this point that four of our teams have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs right now if they handle their own business, and another two are hoping for some near miracles, but have not officially been eliminated yet.
Got my first chance to see Farmington and Newington this week and BOTH impressed me. I admit I didn't expect much from Farmington at Northwest Catholic, but a few plays different and they would have had the upset of the year.
I don't care what NWC coach Mike Tyler told me after the game (read it at www.newbritainherald.com), those Indians were nervous in the second half at what the visiting Indians were doing.
I got to chat with the Farmington statkeeper, who happens to be QB Eric Morrissey's father, during the game. While Morrissey and Matt Robinson, and a handful of other key parts, will be graduating this year, there's a lot of talent in the younger classes there.
Newington runner Nate Pagan is far better than he was even last year. I implore you, if you get a chance to see this kid in the next few weeks, do so. While he isn't getting looks from big-time college programs, he's got the raw skills to play there. He unfortunately was not blessed with the stature that college coaches drool over, but has made up for it by a long shot at this level.
New Britain, Southington and Berlin once again dominated outmatched opponents. If you can, I implore you as well to get down to Southington this Friday for the big annual matchup between the Knights and 'Canes. I'll be there, but perhaps not watching and listening to the football game only. More on that later.
One more note. I must have angered the Rocky Hill team. I predicted an upset for Enfield, and the Terriers came out and put in one of their most dominant performances of the season against a solid team. Nice work, boys. And I'll have you know the Herald's Matt Straub sent me text messages from the game every time you scored to let me know just how wrong I was.

I went 6-1 with my picks this week. Could have had my perfect week if I didn't go for the upset. My mistake. Overall records: 42-17, 5-3.

Teaser: There's two huge matchups on the schedule for this coming weekend, and Thanksgiving games coming soon. I'm excited despite the cold weather and early darkness.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger x man said...

interesting view of Farmington's future
is tebucky jr. as fast as his dad was at NBHS?

November 5, 2007 at 10:44 PM  
Blogger Ryan Pipke said...

Tebucky Jr. hasn't been playing a lot on the offensive end this year, getting some time at wideout and I believe as a slot receiver. However, he has been one of the team's main kick returners and on the one time I saw him touch the ball this week he broke for nearly 50-yards before being caught.
I can't say I ever saw his father play at New Britain (I was in middle school), but his stats are legendary at the school.
Who knows? Everybody who sees young Tebucky play comes away impressed, but I think there is a bit of a natural tendency to expect big things from him because of his name. It's also easy to see what you expect to see when watching him. But athletically he is clearly a step above your average high schooler.
I think it's safe to say he'll be a very good player at Farmington, and if the Indians can continue to improve other aspects of their game, line play in particular, he could put up big numbers.
But as for matching his father, I'd say don't count on it, but celebrate it if it does happen.

November 6, 2007 at 11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home