Thursday, September 13, 2007

Let the games begin

As usual, I am very excited about the start of high school football season. Though not my favorite sport, there is something exciting about the once a week format (more on that coming soon) and I think several local teams could be in for a very good season.
Of course, at this point, everybody has high hopes and we will soon separate the good teams from the merely hopeful. I want to wish best of luck to new Plainville coach Scot Wenzel and Farmington coach Bruce Wearne, returning to the school after a few years away from the program.
I'm going to go out on a limb here, and do something I've never done before. I'm going to make picks for our local games as well as one game from around the state that I feel deserves highlighting. I would like to express that these picks do not necessarily reflect what I would like to happen, and also emphasize that there is still a reason they play the games.
The only games I will abstain from picking are the ones I'm covering. This week those are Cheney Tech at Berlin and Bulkeley at Wethersfield. I am interested to see both of those teams though.
So here goes for week 1.
Friday:
New Britain over Bristol Central at NB: This should be the local game of the week, and perhaps in the state as a whole. Two teams always looking for potential playoff berths squaring off. Hurricanes are a little older this year, and Aaron Hernandez is in Florida and not at Central. That swings it from last year.
Hartford Public over Newington at Newington: Hate to say it, but I'm not sure what to expect from the Indians this year. It's still early, but they seem to have lost a lot of their energy players from last year, so we will have to see who steps up. Nate Pagan is the real deal at RB though, and well worth Newington fans coming out to watch.
Rocky Hill over St. Bernard/Norwich Tech on the road: The teams tied last year, and I know the Terriers were very disappointed in their performance. This team sees a chance for the playoffs and will be energized in the opener.
Look for both teams to run the tricky double-wing offense, fun to watch.
Plainville over Sport and Med. Science at Plainville: The Wenzel era should get off to a good start.
Farmington over Wilcox Tech at Farmington: Things should be good for the start of the Wearne era as well, but it will get tougher once they get into the Nutmeg schedule.
Saturday:
Southington over South Windsor at South Windsor: Coach Mella should have the weapons to win this one, but it will be interesting to see how the Knights do after two straight trips to the state finals. I think they're vulnerable, but they could prove me wrong, just as they did last year.
SP/GT/LM over RHAM/Lyman in Hebron: The St. Paul conglomerate suffered a PR nightmare last year involving alleged recruiting. But they should have enough to top the Sachems.
STATE GAME OF THE WEEK:
New London at Northwest Catholic: Last year the Indians lost one game: to the Whalers in week 1. And NWC found itself on the outside of the S playoffs looking in. They won't want that to happen again and are again considered one of the favorites in the Nutmeg.
Meanwhile, Jack Cochran returns to the sidelines for New London after an absence last year. This should be a great game with many story lines.
My guess is New London takes it again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home