Monday, March 3, 2008

hockey and boys b-ball tourneys starting

The girls' tournaments have been exciting, even if all but one of our area teams have been elimintated. Good luck to New Britain on Wednesday against Westhill, apparently the most overlooked team of the tournament going in. They put together back-to-back impressive wins against Southington and Holy Cross, and are a serious threat.
As for the hockey tournaments, I can't really speak much about them. I simply don't know much about the sport at this level, having seen only a handful of games this season. I will say good luck to the three area teams still harboring hopes of a state title, even though none appear to be favorites of any kind. I will be covering Southington at the Trinity rink on Monday night.
As for the boys tournaments, sadly it doesn't look like any local teams will be making extended runs. All drew road games in the first round, something I've never seen happen in my few years here, and they are tough matchups.
Like the girls tournaments, the staff has made its picks for the boys tournament, just for a little friendly competition between us. In case you were wondering, the girls brackets have come down to either Ken Lipshez or me as potential winners. It all hinges on one team at this point, but I won't say who. Again, I can't tell you everybody else's picks, but I can tell you my picks for these brackets.
Class S: Hyde Leadership over Cromwell
Class M: Hartford Public over Sheehan
Class L: Wilbur Cross over Maloney
Class LL: Windsor over Crosby
Both my Class L and Class LL predicted finals would be phenomenal games between very powerful teams. I hope they can happen so the fans can get a real treat. The other two classes seem really up for grabs in general.

It's almost Spring, which is exciting news for me. Just taking care of final business for this season. Included in that, look for our special section featuring the all-Herald teams for the winter season to come later in the month. Some of the teams are set, but you'll have to wait until then to see who made it. We'll also being doing our players (one male and one female) and coach of the season awards as well.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home