Tuesday, July 22, 2008

summer vacation

OK, so apparently I was influenced by the typically school-aged athletes I cover and decided to take two-plus months off after a school-year well done. Maybe this blog just slipped my mind. Or, there's always option "C" which is that I have a plethora of weddings to attend this summer, and I am slightly distracted.
If you chose, D) all of the above, you win. In either case, I've been relaxing a bit this summer when it comes to my blogging. I'm going to continue to write relatively infrequently, mostly because the busier parts of my year are scholastic in nature. But, I will be writing once in a while just so you all know I'm still alive.
Let me recap some of the more exciting moments of my summer (from a sports perspective only) so far.
The Rocky Hill football golf tournament was truly a treat. Thank you to Bill MacDonald and the booster club for comping my entry fee, so that I got to play a free 18 holes and hang out with some really fun people.
It is interesting to note the close relationship between the Rocky Hill program and the Newington Knights youth program, mostly because Rocky Hill def-coordinator Jeff Perillo is a Newington coach as well. I was in a foursome with Newington coach Lewis Austin, and a kinder, funnier, man you have never met (and he's also a pretty good coach, apparently in multiple sports as his golf lessons aided more than one person taking their hacks that day).
Anyways, nice to see the Terriers program growing.
I'm sad to say there was no sectional run for any of our 11-12 Little League teams this year. That's something I've covered each of the past three years, following Farmington in their well-documented run to the Eastern Regional in 2005, Berlin's loss in the Section 1 final in 2006 and Farmington's solid run in Section 1 again last year, as well as Newington's loss in the Section 2 final. I had gotten to think these things happen every year, but alas they don't, so I have had to look for some other things to cover.
I've found several sectional runs for teams in other divisions. Currently, our new staffer Andrew Lovell is keeping tabs on the Plainville 13-14 year-olds playing in Tolland. I saw them last year, and it looks like the Blue Devils will have the next batch of state title contenders coming real soon.
And in between those weddings, of which I have six to attend this year if you were wondering (it's becoming the running joke of the office that if I'm not there I must be at a wedding for the night), I am squeezing in time for my own competition. I have been playing in the CTUltimate summer ultimate frisbee league in Wethersfield, and my team has been doing quite well so far (with little help from me).
Currently we are 4-2, with our next game on Wednesday night. We are ranked fifth in a league of 18 teams, and we were leading another game 7-1 when rains came and the result was completely erased.
As for me, I serve mostly as a way for better (read faster) players to get some rest for a point or two. If I could gain some speed in these legs I might be a weapon. But alas, I was not blessed with swiftness.
So, it's good to be back, but don't expect to see too much of me until late August or September, when high school sports will be back in action.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home