Wednesday, September 26, 2007

keep your thoughts coming

It was great to see a few comments this week from readers. Thanks for writing in.
Not that I think I have the best opinion, but I'd love to get some questions for a mailbag feature, particularly regarding local high school stuff. As the weeks go by I'm getting a better feel for our local soccer, football and volleyball teams and can see things shaping up. If there's any team you guys would like to get my opinion on, feel free to ask.
I will always try to remain positive when talking about high school athletes. I see a lot of improvement on some local teams.
To get things started here are the teams that have impressed me the most for their improvements so far in each sport. These aren't necessarily the best teams in each sport, but have exceeded expectations so far.
Boys soccer: I love what new coach Tim Brown is doing at Plainville. He has this team relevant with a very tough defense. That's good news for the Northwest Conference which has had only a few premiere teams in recent years.
Girls soccer: I admittedly haven't seen much of this yet, but the Plainville girls have been on top of things so far as well. Wethersfield seems to be playing very well (haven't seen them in person yet) too.
Football: Vast improvements for Newington, Farmington and Wethersfield, all of which I've talked about so far. I hope I get to see each Indians squad soon, but it doesn't look like I'll get the chance this week.
Volleyball: I'm very impressed with the way coach George McKinnon has kept Rocky Hill in the mix, even though I saw them lose a tough five-setter to Northwest Catholic. I'll admit to being among those who wondered if last year's success was a one-hit-wonder situation. Not the case.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home