Wednesday, September 19, 2007

week 2 predictions

First off, I'll be covering both the Middletown at Plainville game tonight as well as the RHAM/Lyman at Rocky Hill game Friday night. So neither of those will be among my predictions this week.
I went 6-2 last week, with which I was pretty happy. Things start to get a lot harder here, though.
Let's go.
Thursday:
E.O. Smith at Newington: The Indians were very impressive against Hartford Public last week, and I watched them run every way they wanted against E.O. Smith last year. This should be no different. Newington wins.
Friday:
Glastonbury at Wethersfield: While I was impressed with the Eagles a week ago, I'm still not sure they will compete against all opponents. This game might be winnable if things go right, but my guess is Tomahawks win in a close one. (I really shouldn't be guessing how close games will be. It only gives me more to be wrong about.)
Bloomfield at Southington: Despite the difference in school size, this could be one of the best games all year. Bloomfield returns just about everybody from a great team last year, Southington lost a lot of key parts and will face its first big test of 2007. I have a hunch the Knights take this one, hopefully in some kind of thrilling way.
New Britain at Windsor: Can somebody stop B.J. Aponte? I don't think so in this one. 'Canes win again.
East Catholic at Farmington: The Eagles are gonna struggle in their first year in a while without Cheney Tech as a co-op. But I think they win this one over an improved Farmington team.
Saturday:
Berlin at St. Paul/Goodwin Tech/Lewis Mills: Jude Kelly has nobody capable of slowing down the Berlin offense, which did not even look sharp in dismantling Cheney Tech last week. Meanwhile, the Falcons & Company lost to RHAM.
Berlin.
State game to watch:
Hillhouse at Xavier, Friday, 7 p.m.: These two have been familiar playoff faces in their respective divisions in recent years, Xavier winning LL in 2005 and Hillhouse M last year. But early results look like the Black Hole will not be cheering as much this year. I like the Academics of Hillhouse to win.

Players to watch:
Look for some local running backs to have a lot of success this week. Nate Pagan could easily run for over 200 against E.O. Smith. B.J. Aponte will have a hard time duplicating last week's performance but should do well again. And look for both of Rocky Hill's main backs, Dan Carducci and Fernando Sanchez, to have a big day in the double wing against RHAM.
If you're looking for some passing, I think Jim Connelly and Cameron Johnson have that special connection for Berlin, and are going to do big things this year.
Bloomfield at Southington is probably the best local game this week, so get out to Fontana Field Knights fans, and football fans.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home