Sunday, November 25, 2007

Thanksgiving in review, and playoff predictions

What a Thanksgiving. I realized when I woke up that I had miscalculated the playoff possibilities and ironically, it was then 5-4 Wethersfield and not 8-1 Newington that still had a chance at the playoffs. But the Eagles lost that game, and would have been eliminated either way, in another ironic twist by an upset loss to another local team, Southington.
Cheshire's win over the Knights gave ten points to the team Wethersfield needed to pass, and that officially eliminated the die-hard Eagles. But still a solid season for Wethersfield.
I was at Rocky Hill, and the Terriers knew by the end of their win over Farmington that they were likewise eliminated from the playoffs. The saddest thing to me is that we barely missed a potential Rocky Hill-Cromwell playoff matchup, and for those unaware, there is still a huge lingering rivalry from when the schools were both in the extinct COC. Maybe next year. Or maybe we will get lucky and Cromwell will move into Farmington's vacated spot in the NWC and Nutmeg.
I went 3-2 on the week, making my regular season record 53-14. When I broke it down by team, here is what my record was picking games for each school.
Berlin, 7-0
Southington, 8-1
Plainville, 6-1
St. Paul, 8-2
Newington, 7-2
Farmington, 6-2
New Britain, 6-2
Rocky Hill, 3-3
Wethersfield, 3-4
State games, 8-3
I was perfect in the nine games I covered between two of our local teams.
Picking Berlin to win each week was usually the easiest thing to do. I guess I never really figured out the Wethersfield Eagles, and as for Rocky Hill, the biggest problem was I had them losing to Northwest Catholic and then winning against Middletown. The opposite happened.

On to my playoff picks for the first round. I'm not even going to explain these. It would take too long. And since I'll be covering the Southington-Shelton game, no pick on that.
HIGHER SEED in all caps
Class LL: GREENWICH over Bridgeport Central
Class L: Staples over BUNNELL
Masuk over CONARD
Class MM: DANIEL HAND over North Haven
Middletown over NEW CANAAN
Class M: BRISTOL EASTERN over Berlin
Weaver over LEDYARD
Class SS: SEYMOUR over Woodland
TOLLAND over Bullard Havens Tech
Class S: ANSONIA over Northwest Catholic
CROMWELL over New London

So that's it. I'll be back with predictions for Friday and Saturday's championship games. Enjoy the games and try your best to stay warm.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't be so sure about Cromwell over New London. Jack Cochran is 12-1 in State Semifinals.-Mike

November 26, 2007 at 8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home