Monday, November 12, 2007

give them a break

I want to take this time to complain about something that is in my opinion a serious problem with the CIAC. I'm talking about the organization's mandated ticket prices for state tournament games. For those of you who are unaware, the CIAC sets a ticket price of $7 for adults and $5 for students during the later rounds of the playoffs. All money earned from ticket sales goes directly to the CIAC. The schools that work hard to host the games get nothing of that, but can make some money for themselves by selling concessions or raffle tickets as some do.
My problem is not as much with the fact that the schools don't get the money (but believe me, they should get a cut) as that the CIAC has the audacity to charge students so much to attend games. The CIAC should be doing everything within its power to promote athletics in the schools and that includes encouraging the rest of the student body to watch their classmates. I saw good student crowds in Wethersfield and Rocky Hill last week for games that were free (not mandated by the CIAC to charge entrance fees in the early rounds).
Students are naturally excited when their school reaches a state tournament game. They want to go to the games if they can get to the site. But many students don't have a lot of money to spend, and quite honestly are not interested enough to spend five dollars on a high school game. Underclassmen are often not old enough to have jobs, and even those who are can only work part-time, usually for close to minimum wage.
For the record, I feel that seven dollars is a lot to ask adults to pay for games. I understand the CIAC has to make money to pay for some venues as well as officials, but five dollars seems like enough to charge anybody. Let the kids in for free, or at most charge them a nominal fee such as $1 or $2.
Maybe then we can get some more school spirit at these games.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ryan, you are so on. That is a horrifying price to charge kids who want to see their teams play. Or parents, for that matter.

I remember I didn't have that much money as a senior, but when I went to go and watch my Ponaganset Chieftains play, I could afford it because it was never more than 3 dollars.

I hope it changes next year. More kids would go I bet if they didn't have to pay so much.

November 12, 2007 at 10:26 PM  
Blogger x man said...

High school football is a dying sport -- the Mystique of Friday night under the lights is fading exponentally each year. The sport needs vitamins not more Poison.
The Herald should charge the CIAC for publishing the playoff schedule.

November 13, 2007 at 1:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ryan - it's not only state playoff games. I went to the Southington/NBHS football game last Friday night - admission was $7.00 for adults and $5.00 for students. Ridiculous!

November 13, 2007 at 9:58 AM  
Blogger Ryan Pipke said...

I might be wrong, but I believe the profits of Southington-NB football went to SHS. So I can't blame the CIAC for that one. But I agree. Regardless of who is getting the money the cost is too high.

November 13, 2007 at 3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe the CIAC should focus more on getting their student athletes to get good grades, rather than focusing on the price of their tickets. Should we really be promoting sports or academics? Also, I think parents would much rather give their kids 5 bucks to go watch a game then to go to an R rated movie or go buy an illegal six pack. I do not think 5 bucks is too much for students, if they are going to go support their friends, they will pay that much.

November 13, 2007 at 4:41 PM  
Blogger X-Man said...

a fin is fair for adults; deuce for students - $1 for a hotdog, unless at Plainville, worth $2

November 19, 2007 at 2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home