Friday, November 9, 2007

week 9 preview

It got really dark out there this week as we said goodbye to our friend Daylight Savings Time. It also got really cold. I'm not sure which is more depressing. Let's all just pray that we hold off the snow until after the first week of December. Then I'll be glad to build a snowman in front of every school in the coverage area. But until then, we've got football games to think about.
Which leads me into my week 9 picks, after which we can finally start seriously breaking down playoff situations. Truth be told, most things will be determined for our local teams this week, except Newington (which I will simply say better start rooting as hard as possible for every team it beat this year).
I am now 42-17 overall this year, which I think is a very good record. When the season ends I'll break that down team by team so I can see who I understood and who I'm still trying to figure out.
Oh, not sure what my schedule is yet this weekend, but I can tell you I will be at Southington High School tonight, and I want to see you all there. I will be leaving the game coverage to our excellent writer Ken Lipshez, who can stomach the cold much more than I can. Meanwhile, I plan on being warmly ensconced amid the two marching bands, who will be battling it out for supremacy on the sidelines. I plan on spending time with each side and seeing a little bit of what goes through their heads during a game like this.
Keep an eye out for the blog. If I can give live updates from the game via a wireless signal, I'll do it that way. Otherwise, I will be talking about the bands on here after the game.
And on Saturday I expect to be at Wethersfield-Weaver, so for now I won't write about that. Should those plans change, I'll add it later.
Friday:
New Britain at Southington: Ladies and gentlemen, the show you've all been waiting for. Finally. These teams don't know what it's like to be tested. Since the Hurricanes loss to Windsor in week 2, they've beaten their opponents by an average of 29.6 ppg over the last six. Meanwhile, Southington has beaten its eight opponents by an average of 31.1 ppg for the season. If the season ended right now, both would be in the playoffs, but somebody will in all likelihood lose this game. Should it be New Britain, their playoff hopes go out the door. Southington could probably withstand the loss, but won't want to risk it.
For two years Southington has been the better team. They've won with their defense, and used the offense to put the game away. But don't forget that New Britain was a few altered plays away from winning each of those games, and the best offensive weapon on the field (B.J. Aponte) will be in maroon and gold.
Still, I think Southington's defense is better than it's been before, and will give the offense field position it can take advantage of. I'm picking Southington, but I wouldn't stake anything of value on that pick.
Newington at Bristol Central: The Indians have been rolling too, despite their shaky defense. Can Nate Pagan top 300 yards for a third straight week? Can he break the state record of eight touchdowns? Why not? After all, defense is Central's least favorite part of the game as well.
One thing I guarantee is this game will be high-scoring and last a while. I'm also pretty sure that Newington will come out on top. There's no margin of error for them.
Plainville at Farmington: This is a really fun matchup. Good running backs on both sides (Dave Soltis, Matt Robinson), and teams that are solid but obviously flawed. With Farmington leaving the conference, this is the last chance for the Devils to hang a loss on their long-time rival.
I think this one is going to be close, but I think Plainville is the better team. I'm picking the Blue Devils.
SP/GT/LM at Rocky Hill: After the Terriers boys soccer team clears the field, the football team will take it. And I think Dan Carducci will find more running room than the soccer players do.
The Terriers played one of their best games of the year last week, so lack of concentration or desire after the Berlin loss is not an issue. Rocky Hill will win.
Saturday:
Berlin at Middletown: This is naturally getting lost in the shuffle of NB-Southington, but equally important. The Redcoats win and they have only to beat hapless East Catholic to make the playoffs. Lose, and things get really dicey. Middletown has to worry about Xavier on Turkey Day, but lose this one and the Dragons can punch their playoff ticket win or lose to the Black Hole.
Oh, and the winner virtually clinches at least a share of the conference title.
So who's the better team? Well, many still say Northwest is the best team in this conference, and both of these teams lost to the Indians. Middletown put up a better fight.
And somehow I'm still confident that Berlin is better. Maybe I'm crazy. Maybe I just don't believe that Middletown's front line is as good as it has looked.
If the Middletown that shut out Rocky Hill shows up, it will win. But I'm expecting the Middletown defense that was very porous against Plainville. I'm taking Berlin.
"STATE" GAME OF THE WEEK
Greenwich at Naples (FL), Friday, 7 p.m.: I've been waiting for this one all year. Greenwich is without a doubt one of the best programs in Connecticut. And this year's team by most knowing accounts is at least one of the top two in the state.
But this is Connecticut. And Naples is ranked in the top-ten in football-crazed Florida.
The interesting thing is that this game really doesn't matter to Greenwich. The Cardinals have so many points already that they can lose their last two games and still make the playoffs. This is for pride alone.
The only question is, how much will Greenwich's pride be damaged for the playoffs if it suffers a big defeat in this one?
I'll take the warm-weather team.
(They're excited about this one down in the Sunshine State too!!! TAPE DELAYED WEBCAST OF THE GAME!!! http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2007/nov/08/check_out_our_special_greenwichnaples_page/?breaking_news)

This is a big week, and mixed in we've got state soccer and volleyball tournament action. It's an exciting time to be a sportswriter.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home