Friday, January 4, 2008

what a day

This Friday (I guess that's today) is so big that it should have a special name, similar to Super Tuesday. I don't have a good one for it, so I'll just tell you a bit about it.
Today pits what I believe are the four best girls basketball teams in the state against each other. Now neither of the matchups will be a state championship preview, as the teams are in different classes. But by my guess you'll see three of the four eventual class winners against each other.
First off, Bulkeley plays at New Britain. I feel like people are overlooking the Golden Hurricanes, considering they are the two-time Class LL defending champions, returned arguably the best backcourt in the state and have been pounding opponents thus far. I think people took their eyes off the team after an opening-game loss to Windsor. But keep two things in mind. They lost the same opener last year, and this time around they were missing two of their starters in that game (Cassandra Bell and Tyler Kimball).
Meanwhile, the Bulldogs are unbeaten and seem to be reloaded as they were when they were perfect and L champs two years ago. They might be the best team in the state (but so might all these teams).
Check out Ken Lipshez's preview of the game in today's paper. He spoke to Manchester coach John Reiser, who has already lost to both teams remarkably by the same differential, 17 points. But be sure to get to the game if you can.
OR...
If that one doesn't interest you, how about this one. Career Magnet at Mercy. Right now Career is ranked number one in most state polls, and while I'm skeptical, I can't argue with the numbers. They pounded a good Guilford team 91-29 on the road, and did the same to Hamden 90-35 at home. Wow.
Meanwhile, Mercy may have the most dominant player in the state in Rachel Roberts and Bianca Simmons isn't bad either.
If you believe my opinion, which you can take with a grain of salt, I am skeptical of Career after watching them in the Class M playoffs against Plainville last year. They were very good. But they were not close to the level of the top LL teams. Now, it's possible that they have returned most of their lineup and improved dramatically, but I'll believe it when I see it. I am guessing Mercy wins this.
Bulkeley-New Britain is beyond my capacity to guess. I just wish I could be there. But, alas...

I will be in Wethersfield to get my first look of the season at the boys basketball team against Rockville. The Eagles are playing well at 4-1, and beat what I thought was a solid Newington team before destroying coach Mike Verderame's former team, Platt. So, I am understandably curious to see this team.
Ken will be at Chick Shea Gymnasium.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home