Saturday, March 8, 2008

the ups and downs of post-high school life

I have had the good fortune of bumping into some of my favorite local athletes over the past two weeks. It's always good to hear how things are going for former high school stars at the next level. But, I was sad to see some of the unfortunate turns for a couple of them. Nonetheless, all seem to be making the transition well.
I first saw Plainville basketball star Amanda Pierlioni at the Blue Devils' second round game. Sadly, she was sitting with her leg in a brace and propped on a water cooler, the result of a torn ACL/MCL in her knee that prematurely ended her season at Bryant. But she had a smile on her face and said the season had been going well up to that point, and also that she should be back on the court next year.
Then today I ran into Southington gymnasts Kristy Dougan and Jessie Gianatti at the New England Championship meet. Dougan also had an injury cut short her season as a diver. She was able to redshirt, having competed in only four events, and is currently taking classes at CCSU so she can be close to home during the recovery period.
Gianatti has also put gymnastics aside, and is reaping the benefits. After struggling through injuries for two years due to the grueling sport, she is thriving as a soccer player.
I have heard from Southington coach Byron Knox that Yvette Mirando is performing well with his Bridgeport University team. The scores he listed off for me and my fellow reporters from her most recent meet brought back happy memories.
It was great to see some familiar faces, particularly as they were cheering for their friends and former teammates. I will continue to keep my eyes out for others this Spring. If you are, or know, a former Herald-area athlete, and wish to share some positive achievements since then, please let me know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home