Tuesday, September 9, 2008

welcome back

Summer "vacation" is over and it's back to the blogging world with a lot of things to talk about in the sporting scene, locally and nationally. I'm going to pound out a couple today.
Just like last year, I'll be focusing the blog primarily on high school sports, but occasionally talking about other subjects (as you will soon see). I will be back with my weekly high school football picks to be posted some time on Thursday or Friday afternoon before the games for the week. I also will continue to readily welcome comments and feedback on the blog, so let me know what you think.
Man, it feels good to have some high school sports back. The summer can drag on at times and as much as I love baseball, it gets tiring having one main sport to cover for three months and very little else to keep an eye on.
And unfortunately the rain has already cancelled most of the first day of the season, with only a handful of volleyball games still going on.
As for local teams, I expect our girls soccer teams to be very strong again this year, with a LOT of star power at Farmington, Southington, Berlin and Wethersfield leading the way. The boys teams look to be down a bit, with nobody likely to be as strong as the top teams were last year, but you can never count Farmington out of title contention and a new tougher schedule should make them battle tested come tournament time. It should also make the NWC race really interesting for the first time in a while without them.
As for volleyball, I really like the teams Berlin and Southington will put on the court, and I see positives in Rocky Hill, Farmington and Newington, so the teams should generally be pretty strong.
I must plead early-season ignorance about field hockey, swimming and cross country teams right now, but I'm sure some stars will emerge.
So, in summation. It's great to be back. Please check the blog often. And let me know your thoughts and opinions on anything and everything I write about. The more the merrier.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home