Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Week 8 in review

Well, we finally found the surprises we've been waiting for. I'm still in shock over the Berlin-Enfield score, even if it did go into overtimes. There wasn't a whole lot of defense played in that one, and it may constitute the most shocking score in the state this year.
Wethersfield almost pulled off a big upset against Weaver, the same Weaver team that beat New Britain earlier this year and currently holds down a playoff spot in Class MM. If the Eagles had won the two teams would be tied for that spot, but alas, now it looks as if Wethersfield's playoff hopes are officially gone.
Southington eked out a win against East Hartford, I say eked because despite the 35-14 score the game was much closer than that. Maybe the Knights were looking forward to "bigger" games in the coming weeks. Maybe they'll surprise everybody once again and get back to the playoffs, but I have to say my impression of the team has taken some hits lately.
Newington had to grit out a win over Platt as well, but that was more because Platt played far better than I expected. That being said, Newington better play better themselves because the playoffs still aren't a complete guarantee, and because I think Newington has a shot at winning. But not with the incomplete performance I saw in that game. Masuk and others are too strong.
I liked that New Britain and Rocky Hill both rolled over weaker competition. That's what the best do. They both looked the part of playoff teams in those wins, although the road for the Hurricanes is still full of land mines. But, New Britain looks more prepared to weather them than it has in a few years, at least right now.
As for me, I got a couple things wrong this week. Along with Berlin, I incorrectly picked Shelton over Hillhouse, a predicted upset. Ooops. Looks like the Academics are as strong as advertised. Class MM is shaping up to be exciting, and the top seed actually means a whole lot when two of Hillhouse, Darien and New Canaan will actually meet in the semifinal.
My 5-2 week brings my overall record to 48-10, with a 6-2 record now in non-local games.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home