Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Week 5 in review

Did you see that? Haha. You probably don't care. But, for the first time in a year and a half of making weekly high school football predictions, yours truly had a perfect week, going 8-0.
OK, so I was still off about how close several games would be, but I got all the winners right.
New Britain bounced back with a blowout of Hall after its stunning loss to Weaver. Nice win there. I hope the 'Canes can keep it up and build some momentum with the tougher part of its schedule still ahead.
Southington bounced back, albeit from a close win, with a bigger win against Conard. I must say that this was the most impressive score of the week.
Southington 35, Conard 0
I saw Conard a week ago, and they are legitimately a powerful team. Their 2-3 record is a product of playing maybe the three best teams in the CCC, Southington, New Britain and Newington (with apologies to Manchester and Glastonbury, on whom the jury is still out, although Glastonbury is looking more and more like an elite team).
Rocky Hill won its warmup against Plainville and now heads to Berlin in a huge game this week. Newington continues to impress after a blowout of Bloomfield that I expected to be a bit closer. Things are looking very good for the Indians right now.
Wethersfield struggled again against a good opponent, not even playing Glastonbury close. It looks like the Eagles, with a VERY hard closing schedule, will have to hope for a .500 season. It's still out there to be had, but they will have to play better than the last two weeks.
I didn't get to see any action in person last week, so I don't have much to comment on there. Southington was clearly the team of the week, though. It looks like the Knights are hitting their stride.
As for me, I'm going to bask in the glow of my zero in the loss column, which brings my record for the season up to 29-7, and 4-1 in non-local matchups. I'll be back later in the week with a look at this weekend's games.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home