Friday, September 26, 2008

Week 3 football

Oh, Mother Nature has decided to play her tricks on us this weekend, and it didn't take long for that to effect the high school slate.
Before I even knew the game had been rescheduled (with Thursday being my day out of the office), the New Britain Golden Hurricanes had put a second-half hurting on Bloomfield for a 58-26 win after trailing at the break.
I guess I don't get to predict that game, but I would have guessed New Britain would win, just not by so many.
With a frequently muddy field to worry about, Northwest Catholic moved its game with Rocky Hill from Saturday to Monday. Here's hoping the field is in decent shape to play and not the mudbowl I've seen it be in the past when I cover that one.
So far everything else is on as scheduled, so as much as I can tell I will be out at Sage Park Friday night for a big matchup between Middletown and Berlin. It's a Nutmeg weekend for me, with two big conference matchups that should clear up the questions of who's on top this year.
I may also be called into action on Saturday to cover Newington's trip to Weaver. So, for now, I won't make any call on that game, but if plans change I will be back to make a pick.
On to the rest of them, and here's hoping we all can stay relatively dry this weekend.
Friday:
Platt at Farmington, 7 p.m.: I guess the schedule makers were nice to the Indians early on in the season, as they have another winnable game here. However, their blowout loss to Fermi last week does not bode well for them.
I'm guessing Platt is of a similar talent level to Fermi, and I think it will be another Farmington loss.
Wethersfield at Bulkeley, 7 p.m.: These Eagles sure know how to take care of business against lesser opponents. There was no messing around as they pounced all over E.O. Smith by halftime and the starters didn't have to take a snap in the second half.
Expect more of the same this week at Dillon Stadium. Wethersfield wins big.
Saturday:
Southington at Hartford Public, 12 p.m.: The Knights are back to their old ways, and Public doesn't seem quite as strong as it has been in recent years. I actually don't think Southington will have much trouble in this one. What will be interesting is to see who steps up for the Knights. It seems like a different person each game, and each season.
Look out if rain kills the air raid. But the Knights are less one-dimensional than they used to be, mostly because QB Josh Lamson can tuck and run.
Somebody will step up, and Southington should win.
Plainville at RHAM/Lyman Memorial, 11 a.m.: At the start of the season I thought Plainville would be the cellar-dwellers in the Nutmeg, simply because of their overall youth. But they've been better than I expected, and RHAM has been worse.
Now, I think Plainville will get a second win in this one, so long as the weather doesn't make it messy, in which case anything could happen. I'm still taking the Devils.
St. Paul/GT/LM at East Catholic, 1 p.m.: It's back-to-back Catholic school weeks for St. Paul after a big win over Northwest last week. This is simple. If you can beat Northwest, East is no problem.
If St. Paul loses this one, it would be the second week in a row they shock me.
STATE PICK OF THE WEEK
Danbury at New Canaan, Saturday, 2 p.m.: Score one for CT as Danbury took it to Rutland, VT last week. Things don't get easier when they return to the shoreline to take on defending MM champ New Canaan, which I suspect may just be the best team the state has to offer. It's a shame I don't get to see these teams during the regular season. I only know what I get to hear from others.
Well, like I said, I think New Canaan is the best team in the state based on what I'm seeing, so I'm going to pick them to win this, particularly at home. But Danbury must be playing with confidence.
I also will have my eyes on Darien at Ridgefield, because after the Blue Wave topped Greenwich last week, they got themselves on the state radar.


OK, let's do this. Get your rain gear ready, and just accept the mud. It will be more fun that way.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home