Thursday, September 25, 2008

week 2 in review

Things are heating up, and not just in football. I've been busy watching soccer and volleyball this week and didn't get around to summing up week 2 in football.
As expected, some things became clearer, some more confused.
I thought I might have my first ever perfect week picking games and then... boom, a big upset (at least for now) and I'm back to dreaming about that perfection.
I must admit, with as much as I was wondering if the Northwest Catholic team was down a bit from past years, I never expected them to lose to St. Paul. Now I can't decide whether it says more about NWC or the Falcons. Is one not as good as expected, or is the other much better than expected?
The answer is usually somewhere in the middle. This week should go a long way in determining that as NWC faces Rocky Hill.
What we did find out, as I suspected, is that Newington seems to be a legitimate contender despite losing to New Britain. That game was every bit as close as I thought it would be. We learned, as expected, that Southington is once again very dangerous after plowing through Weaver. We learned that Wethersfield has a knack for beating up on weak competition, but we'll have to wait a few weeks to see what the Eagles do against a good team.
And sadly we learned that first-week wins by Farmington and Plainville may have been illusions.
Oh, and still waiting on the first points allowed by Rocky Hill, which has looked very good in two wins to start the year.
The players that most impressed me and others this week were Matt Roncaioli at Southington, Tyler Murphy at Wethersfield, and a rare recognition of a kicker, New Britain's Juan Duque.
I am now 11-4 overall and 1-1 in state games in my picks.
I'll be back tomorrow with the picks for Week 3.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home