Friday, September 12, 2008

Week 1 picks

I smell football in the air, and I'm excited. Even though it's clearly not my favorite sport, there is something exciting about the one (or two) day a week format that makes looking closely at each and every game possible and exciting.
As some, hopefully, will remember, last year I made picks for all the local games each week (minus the ones I covered, of course) as well as one "featured" game from around the state. I tried hard to pick state matchups that I thought would have some playoff implications and/or be exciting.
New year. Same plan.
But, let me say a bit about each team right now, before I get to the picks.
Berlin: It's going to be tough for the Redcoats to match what they did last season, going 10-2 and losing a heartbreaker in the Class M championship. They lost more talent in one graduating class than some schools see in four years. But don't count them out... ever.
Farmington: With a new conference (unfamiliar opponents every week) and a very young team, just getting a couple wins could be tough for this squad. I'll be pulling for them, but it's clearly a building year.
New Britain: If you want the best chance for a state title in the area, this is your team. The 'Canes have been building to this ever since Jack Cochran said goodbye. This is their chance to put the Cochran era behind with a special season. Southington and Weaver should be the biggest threats to a potential perfect season.
Newington: I'm going to miss watching Nate Pagan, but I have to say I'm excited to see what Shane Leupold can do in the spotlight. Leupold's been very good, but overlooked at times in the past.
Other than that, I don't know what to expect from a team that will have to change a well-worn gameplan.
Plainville: Young might be putting it lightly. This team has a painfully small amount of experience, but the perfect man at the helm to deal with it. Rocky Gagliardi knows this season will be tough, but has an optimistic attitude and more importantly, as one person pointed out to me today, a way of making you want to run through a brick wall for him. He should have the Devils playing hard at least.
Rocky Hill: You know, there's less buzz around this team then there's been since August 2005. That year, completely unexpectedly, the Terriers went to the Class S semis. I'm not saying they will repeat the feat this year. I'm just saying, there's something about a good coaching staff and system when nobody's really watching that makes for a good year.
Southington: See above. It seems like people, myself included, doubt the Knights every year. Well, I'm saying it here. If the Knights go 10-0 or 9-1 again, I won't be in the least surprised. But, if they go 6-4, I wouldn't be stunned either. Still, this is a team with a proven system.
St. Paul and Friends: One last party with Lewis Mills before they go their own way. The waiting period is over for Jude Kelly. This is the year the Falcons have to show some big improvements or Kelly will be criticized by fans.
Then again, this is only high school sports, not the NFL. So I don't think he has to worry for his job.
Wethersfield: I did not see the Eagles' good year coming last year. This is a complete wild card team. I know firsthand of some of the talent they have. But I also know it's been a bumpy ride recently.
The best thing going for them... any team that can honestly say its strength is in the offensive line has a chance.

OK, here we go. I will be at Giants Stadium covering Southington on Friday and in West Hartford to see Newington-Hall on Saturday. So I can't comment specifically on those games, but, man, am I excited to see The Meadowlands up close. I hope the entire town of Southington shows up for what is truly a special opportunity.

FRIDAY:
Conard at New Britain (7 p.m.): First blowout of the season. First chance to see just how good the Blackshirts can be, and first chance to watch the O-line push somebody around. New Britain wins.
E.O. Smith at Farmington (7 p.m.): Like I said, I think it's going to be a long season for Farmington. Based on past history, this is one of those winnable games, I think, but I don't think they're going to win. E.O. in a low-scoring affair.
Ledyard at Berlin (7 p.m.): It's extremely rare that a team gets a chance to avenge a championship loss right away. The Berlin guys, the few who played last year, say they were ready for this since the bus ride back from Arute Field.
But this is a game I think they'll wish they could play a few weeks from now as they get acclimated now. Ledyard in another nailbiter.
Oxford at SP/GT/LM (7 p.m.): First on-campus night game in school history. And, to be honest, I didn't know Oxford existed until this afternoon, and still can't tell you where it is on a map. I'm saying the Falcons et. al. get a win in the opener, but mostly cause I can't see them losing to a team that sounds like it's from across the pond.
Stonington at Rocky Hill (7 p.m.): Like I said, I've got a funny feeling about the Terriers. I like their defense... a lot. Could this be the first step in another magic year?
I'll take the Terriers in a close one, similar to the last two years against St. Bernard/Norwich Tech.
SATURDAY
East Hartford at Wethersfield (Noon): One thing I didn't mention above. The Eagles' schedule looks pretty favorable. There's a real chance for six or seven wins if they take care of a couple tough games.
In recent years, East Hartford hasn't put forth one of those challenges. I bet they'll be better this year, but I still like Wethersfield to win.
Plainville at Sport and Medical Sciences Academy (Dillon Stadium, 6:30 p.m.): If Plainville wants to get a win this year, and I say that seriously, the Devils better get one right here. That would allow them to at least play the rest of the season without a potential 0-fer hanging over their heads.
I think they'll be able to do it, but SMSA is a complete wild-card team. I have no idea what to expect from the magnet school. C'mon Devils! Bring back a win.
STATE GAME OF THE WEEK
Xavier at Northwest Catholic (Friday, 7 p.m.): A few things leap out at me right away here. First off, a night game at NWC? Did the school get lights on what is one of the worst fields in the state? That would be good for them.
Secondly, on the surface this looks like a pretty balanced matchup of private Catholic schools. But then you remember that Xavier probably comes close to tripling the student population of NWC, and that's with only males. So, should the Indians pull off a win in this one, it would seem to me to be a pretty massive upset.
Both of these schools have a football tradition, and this game is clearly the result of the CIAC allowing an extra game on each team's schedule this year. I love it.
I'm going to take Northwest in an upset. But I could be very, very crazy.

Let's have some fun out there, and please, people, be sportsmanlike in the stands. The kids are behaving on the field (most of the time). I want to see the parents and student fan sections (and sports writers too) do the same.
See you at the games.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home