Friday, September 28, 2007

football week 3

A lot of local teams hit the road this weekend, so we'll get to see what they're made of mentally against an unfriendly crowd.
I will be at New Britain/Platt, so I won't be choosing that one.
Let's get straight to the games, and my picks.
Friday:
Bristol Central at Southington: The Knights had a statement game last weekend against Bloomfield, but cannot relax with the always tough Rams on their schedule. Central was handled by New Britain two weeks ago, and Southington has looked very strong. I think Southington will be 3-0.
Newington at Manchester: Newington has been equally impressive so far and from their results Manchester doesn't look to be as potent as in the past. It will be interesting to see how Newington does in its first road game, but I look for them to win the battle of the Indians.
Wethersfield at Bristol Eastern: Can the surprise Eagles keep the magic going? I don't know much about the Lancers, but they've beaten up on two cupcakes so far. They might be due for a loss. I'm going to go out on a limb here and pick the Eagles to be the one that comes out of this unbeaten.
Plainville at Berlin: I've seen both of these rivals thus far and I can say that Berlin is clearly superior. Despite Plainville's improvement offensively (a lot to do with being healthy this year), I can't imagine them topping the Redcoats.
Rocky Hill at East Catholic: Like many people, I thought East would drop back a bit this year being on its own, but I didn't expect the school to take such a beating at the hands of Farmington last week. The Terriers could confuse the Eagles to no end with their offense, and I think they'll come out with a convincing win.
Saturday:
Farmington at Enfield: Looks like the Indians mean business. Enfield has traditionally given up a lot through the air, something I think Farmington could capitalize on. I think the Indians will be 3-0 as well.
Northwest Catholic at St. Paul/Goodwin/Mills: This could get ugly when the physical NWC team shows up. It's gonna be a long season for SPGTLM, which is largely made up of Goodwin students.
STATE GAME TO WATCH:
Tolland at Cromwell, Saturday, 1:30 p.m.
Let's give some love to a couple small schools, both 2-0. This could have playoff implications for both Class SS and Class S. The Cromwell Panthers have fast developed a very good program thanks to a long-running youth program. In under a decade the Panthers are perennial playoff contenders. They've also pounded a pair of opponents so far. This will be tougher, but look for them to win again.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home