Monday, October 1, 2007

week 3 in review

I had a much better week this time around, but I really missed on a pair of games.
It appears it might be a bit early for those in Wethersfield and Farmington to be punching playoff tickets. I really thought both teams would at least contend in their games. Hopefully these losses will be more of an anomaly as the season goes on.
I got to see New Britain running back B.J. Aponte up close for the first time this weekend, and I was impressed. He's a powerful back who attacks the smallest of holes, and also stays on his feet even with two defenders trying to take him down.
I also really liked what I saw from young quarterback Rafal Garcarz. He has a lot of room to grow in the next couple years, and the foundation is there.
But if New Britain keeps gathering penalties, the Hurricanes won't hang with true contenders.

Speaking of contenders, don't make Berlin angry. They were reported to have been irked by pregame comments from a Plainville player, and the game ended up far less competitive than most expected.
Also in the NWC, I continue to be shocked at the dropoff from East Catholic. Two weeks in a row they were pushed around. Hopefully it gave Rocky Hill some confidence before arguably their toughest task of the season in Northwest Catholic next Saturday.
No problems for Newington on the road. The easy wins keep piling up.
Same goes for Southington. It's too bad those two don't meet up on the schedule.

Three weeks down, and four locals still unbeaten. That's significant for any team at this point in the season.

My records: This week 6-2, overall 15-8, highlighted state picks 2-1.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home