Thursday, October 4, 2007

week 4 football

Ok, time for me to remember that there are local events and stop watching the MLB playoffs for a bit.
I'll be covering Southington at Rockville on Friday and New Britain at South Windsor on Saturday. Therefore, no predictions on either of those games.
Here goes for the rest of them, and this should be a tough week. I'll really be happy to go .500.
Friday:
Bloomfield at Newington: For whichever of these teams makes the playoffs, if either do, this could be the game they look back at as pivotal. Should Bloomfield lose a second game, the Warhawks can all but kiss a Class S spot goodbye with the tight competition.
Newington has yet to get a chance against a really good team to prove itself. The Indians might be able to afford a loss, but this is a game you want to win to better your playoff chances, even in L.
Southington easily handled Bloomfield a few weeks ago, and either the Warhawks aren't as good as expected, Southington coach Bill Mella has done an amazing job, Class S schools can't hang with bigger ones, or some combination of all of those.
My guess is Newington wins this. I'm not even going to guess by how much. But if they do it will be a huge step for them.
Wethersfield at East Hartford: The Eagles made me look really foolish last week, but I'm sticking with them. I believe in this bunch, and while East Hartford has had some talent in the past and this year, I don't think the Hornets are as good as Bristol Eastern was. If the Eagles can keep the quarterback contained on defense, they will win.
Saturday, also known as "Nutmeg Day"
Farmington at Middletown: Who thought this would be a great matchup at the start of the season? Well, it should be fun. The Indians faltered against Enfield, with special teams taking a bad blow, but I hope and believe it will prove to have been a fluke.
Nonetheless, Middletown is always fast and dangerous, and this year they seem to have a stronger front line. This will go a long way to determine the second tier in the Nutmeg, and I think Middletown is still a little stronger, especially with a home crowd.
Middletown wins a thriller.
Rocky Hill at NW Catholic: I admit it. As a Terriers alumnus I wish I could be at this game. Two years ago when RH went to the playoffs this was their only loss, and it came in a mudbowl type game after a huge rainstorm. NWC scored on its first drive and after that the field was a wreck and neither team moved the ball the rest of the way.
I don't think RH is as good as that year, but they are better than when they got killed last year. Hopefully for them NWC is a little weaker.
Like Bloomfield, should Northwest lose their playoff chances are slim. Rocky Hill has a margin of error but with a game remaining against Berlin, this could be huge.
Look for both teams to stay on the ground with the offensive lines proving vital. Unfortunately, the Terriers have had some injuries there, and I think Northwest will come out on top.
But between you and me I'm hoping I'm wrong.
SPGTLM at East Catholic: I don't know what to think of this. Both teams are pretty bad. I don't even know where to begin to make an educated guess here, so I'll just say that I can't see East dropping this far off the map.
I think the Eagles will win.
Berlin at Enfield: Still looking for anybody to stay within 30 of the Redcoats, or hold them under 40. I don't think this will be either, although it's a long trip to the border.
I'm pretty sure Berlin will win.
RHAM/Lyman at Plainville: The Sachems are MUCH better this year. They have a solid quarterback to receiver combination and they don't look lost on the line as they had in previous years. Credit the coaching staff.
But after two tough losses, one close and one ... not, Scot Wenzel will be breathing fire for his players to get a win, and this is one they shouldn't lose.
Plainville bounces back with a convincing victory.
STATE GAME TO WATCH:
Shelton at Amity, Friday, 7 p.m: Boy, I wish I could say I knew more about these teams specifically. I do know that Shelton (3-0) is currently ranked second in the Class LL playoff standings and is in the top five in state polls. I also know Amity (3-0) is currently the top seed in Class L and faces the toughest task (in a tough schedule) this week.
The home fans would love to see the upset, but I don't think it's coming. Shelton will win, and further impress voters.

Things to watch:
Forget it. Just get out there. Wherever you live there's a good game to see this week. Home fans in particular (Newington, Plainville, Middletown) should show up in droves to cheer on their teams. This is going to be fun.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

RHAM/Lyman is much improved. The defense is pretty strong too. I was pretty impressed by their team last Saturday. I wouldn't be surprised if they win this Saturday.

Middletown could have Ephraim back at QB, but will at least have his brother Charles back so Baker can go back to RB. I think he'll be pleased with that. Baker did a good job getting the win, but he didn't look comfortable at QB.

October 5, 2007 at 3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home